Rules & Policies


Individual cancellations after 7 calendar days prior to the conference start date will be charged to the invoice at a rate of $50.00 per person.

Cancellation of a scheduled conference must be received in writing no later than 30 days prior to the starting date of the conference. If written notice is not received 30 days prior, the conference will be billed $50.00 per person for each of the initially guaranteed number of participants. If written notice of cancellation is not received by 7 days prior, the conference will be billed the full package amount for each of the initially guaranteed number of participants for the requested number of nights.


An invoice will be sent within three weeks of the conclusion of the conference outlining all charges based on the terms of the contract. Payment will be required within 30 days upon receipt of invoice. Additional fees will be charged in the following instances: late or improper check-outs (after 12:00 noon), lost keys, lost meal cards, damages caused by conferees and late cancellations or "no-show" charges.

Conferences not affiliated with HSU, may be required to pay a deposit and/or prepay a portion of the anticpated invoice amount.

Youth on Campus and Security

Adult live-in supervision is required with any youth group (17 and under.) The ratio will be no less than one adult to every fifteen youths. Live-in supervisors must be a minimum of 18 years of age. These adults will act as liaison between the University, Housing & Resident Life staff and participants in the event of discipline, noise or destructive behavior.

Any person requesting a master key with access to guest rooms must show proof of both Live Scan and Accurate Background checks. Contact the Conference Services Coordinator and/or UPD for assistance with these security screenings.

Policies in Depth

As with any community, we have guidelines that help us maintain a living environment that is safe, healthy and conducive to learning. They are as follows:

Airborne Objects/Windows
Drugs and Controlled Substances
Good Samaritan
Bodily Fluids
Candles/Barbecues/Incendiary Products
Cleaning Responsibilities
Common Area Furniture
Computer ("Resnet") Acceptable Use
Damages/Common Area Cleaning
Failure to Complete Sanctions
Fire and Safety Regulations
Firearms, Ammunition, Fireworks, Weapons
Key Misuse
Physical Abuse/Violence
Pranks/Water Fights/Unauthorized Entry
Quiet Hours/Noise
Sexual Misconduct/Assault
Skateboards/Roller & In-Line Skates/Bicycles/Scooters
Staff Requests/Non-Compliance
Verbal/Written Abuse

Airborne Objects/Windows

Throwing objects into or out of windows or doorways or in the interior areas of facilities is prohibited. This includes keys, trash, water balloons, liquid and other such objects. Residents are also reminded that screens may not be removed from windows. Residents may not enter or exit the building through windows, sliding glass doors (except in Campus Apartments) or balconies. Removal of screens will result in a fine of $25 and financial responsibility for repair or replacement.

Any items that are placed in windows that are in the plain view of the public that are determined to be offensive by the Department of Housing and our community members must be removed immediately upon notification by Housing personnel.


Experience has demonstrated that substance use/abuse can negatively impact both the individual and the community, and is not conducive to the promotion of an educational and academic environment. Violations of Housing alcohol policies will be addressed on an individual basis and may have different results due to the nature of the violation(s). Outcomes may include administrative sanctions, a guest's removal from Housing, referral to University Police, and possible legal charges (including citations and fines).

The following items/activities are prohibited in or around all housing facilities:
  1. Possession/consumption of alcoholic beverages or possession of empty alcohol containers, by those under the age of 21 (Note: empty containers of alcohol may be considered evidence of prior consumption).
  2. Being under the influence of alcohol in public areas or, if under the age of 21, in your residence hall room.
  3. Disrupting the residence hall community while under the influence of alcohol.
  4. Providing alcohol to minors or the production of alcohol.
  5. Kegs of beer or bulk alcohol in any form or container (including partially full or empty kegs, party balls, or multiple cases of alcohol) regardless of age.
  6. Drinking games or other behaviors designed for the purpose of rapid and/or excessive consumption, such as beer pong or water pong, beer bongs, funnels and similar devices (due to the abusive nature of intended use) regardless of age.
  7. Possession/consumption of alcoholic beverages in common areas such as the Jolly Giant Commons, Creekside Lounge, the College Creek Great Hall, Canyon Lounges, Campus Apartments Lounge, Hill Lounges, and laundry rooms, regardless of age.
  8. Consumption of alcohol in public areas of the residence halls regardless of age. Public areas include: patios, quad areas, gazebos, courtyards, hallways, stairwells, walkways, parking lots, lawn areas, lounges and any other area which might reasonably be described as public.

Exhibiting aggressive or offensive behavior while under the influence of alcohol can result in legal action. Gross intoxication (e.g. vomiting or passing out due to excessive consumption) will also result in emergency medical or legal action.

Residents are reminded that the University Police may be involved with violations relating to alcohol. Please understand that University Police are authorized to enter a resident's room without warning if "probable cause" exists or if a search warrant has been obtained.

Drugs and Controlled Substances

Experience has demonstrated that substance use/abuse can negatively impact both the individual and the community, and is not conducive to the promotion of an educational and academic environment. Violations of Housing drug policies will be addressed on an individual basis and may have different results due to the nature of the violation(s). Outcomes may include administrative sanctions, a guest's removal from Housing, and referral to University Police, and possible legal charges (including arrest and fines).

The following items/activities are prohibited in or around the residence halls:
  1. Being under the influence of illegal drugs in housing facilities and public areas.
  2. Disrupting the residence hall community while under the influence of drugs or controlled substances.
  3. Possession, use, cultivation, production, sale, gift or exchange of illegal drugs (Note: in addition to other sanctions, residents found responsible for smoking marijuana will be subject to a $25 damage charge). Smelling of marijuana may be considered evidence of possession or use.
  4. Possession of illegal drug paraphernalia, such as a pipe or bong that contains an illegal substance residue.
  5. Abuse, misuse, or distribution of legally prescribed drugs.
  6. Use or intoxication by other substances such as Salvia, synthetic marijuana, or bath salts..

Humboldt State University and all California State University campuses do NOT recognize medical marijuana (215) cards or the recreational use of marijuana in any form.

Exhibiting aggressive or offensive behavior while under the influence of alcohol or drugs can result in legal action. Gross intoxication (e.g. vomiting or passing out due to excessive consumption) will also result in emergency medical or legal action.

Residents are reminded that the University Police may be involved with violations relating to alcohol or illegal drugs. Please understand that University Police are authorized to enter a resident's room without warning if "probable cause" exists or if a search warrant has been obtained.

Good Samaritan

Students/community members who observe a medical or other emergency are obligated to call for help. If the “Good Samaritan” is found in violation of a Housing guideline at the time of the call, the fact that they placed the call will be considered in the conduct process.

If you feel a community member is in need of medical assistance please dial 9-1-1.


Appliances such as clocks, lamps, hair-dryers, computers, stereos, televisions and the like are permitted in rooms and public areas of the facilities, provided the resident ensures the following: appliances are UL-approved; the wiring of appliances is safe; appliances are turned off when not in use; and requests from other residents or staff regarding noise from appliances are respected.

Items such as electric coffee pots, small refrigerators (under 4 cubic feet) and microwaves are the only other appliances that may be used in rooms. Appliances such as electric frying pans, Coleman stoves, toaster ovens, full-sized refrigerators and any appliance with an exposed heating element are not permitted. The kitchens in each facility should be used for any cooking needs.

Space heaters and other such heat-producing appliances are fire safety hazards and are not permitted in the facilities at any time. Irons are heat producing and therefore considered a fire safety hazard. Irons are only permitted in laundry rooms.

Bodily Fluids

Depositing of bodily fluids, including but not limited to: vomiting, urinating, or defecating in public areas, rooms, apartments or inappropriate locations is prohibited. Residents and their guests in violation of this guideline will be billed for clean-up and may likely be removed from Housing. The storage of bodily fluids is prohibited in the residence halls. Bodily fluids must be disposed of in the proper waste removal system.

Candles/Barbecues/Incendiary Products

Candles, barbecues and other such incendiary products (e.g., incense, fire poi, torches, etc.) are fire safety hazards and may not be used inside of the facilities. Any candle found burning or with a burnt wick will need to be placed in storage for the remainder of the academic year and the resident will be fined $25. If you have questions about this, please ask before you bring a candle into your room.

Public barbecue areas are provided on the Canyon lawn, Cypress lawn, Creekview picnic areas, the Hill Quad, and at the College Creek patio area for use by residents. Residents who wish to use their own barbecues or hibachis may do so if such items are used at least 25 feet from the nearest building and if reasonable fire/safety precautions are followed (note: the Cypress patios do not meet the 25 foot requirement).

Flammable liquids such as lighter fluid, gasoline and charcoal starter may not be stored in or adjacent to any facility but can be stored at the Housing Grounds shop by contacting the Grounds office at (707) 826-5514. Access to stored items will be by appointment only. In order to access stored items after work hours, contact the Information Desk.

Cleaning Responsibilities

To ensure a safe and healthy environment, a reasonable level of cleanliness is expected in individual resident rooms. Your assistance in keeping bathrooms, kitchens, and lounges clean will be greatly appreciated by both residents and staff. Personal trash, bottles, magazines, newspapers, and other such items should be deposited in the outside dumpsters and recycling bins and not in bathroom or lounge trashcans. Staff will regularly check these areas to ensure the health and safety of residents. Failure to maintain a reasonable level of cleanliness in any common area (e.g. Cypress kitchen, Hill TV lounge, etc.) may result in a loss of access to that area and/or charges for excessive custodial time.


Climbing onto or rappelling from buildings, trees, lamp posts, stairwells, balconies, roofs or any other area can threaten the safety of people and damage the facilities. Such activities are prohibited. (Housing staff members are available to assist you if you are locked out of your room).

Common Area Furniture

Furniture in the various common areas (living rooms, lounges, kitchens, etc.) is for everyone to use and enjoy. Please treat this furniture with care and do not remove it from the common areas at any time. If furniture is missing, damaged, or relocated repair or replacement costs will be the responsibility of the conference group with access to the common area unless the cause can be attributed to specific individuals.

Computer ("RESNET") Acceptable Use Policy

The Humboldt State ResNet system connects workstations and computers at Humboldt State University. It also provides access to national and international computer networks. However, network connectivity requires that you understand the responsibilities of being a network user in order to protect the integrity of the system and the integrity of other users. Using the HSU ResNet is a privilege. The following policies are intended to help you use the HSU Residential Network responsibly.

You are NOT allowed to use your connection to:
  1. run a business or organization for profit or nonprofit purposes
  2. monitor data on the network by means of any monitoring or "sniffer" software
  3. provide a pass-through site to other campus hosts
  4. provide remote login on your computer for others than yourself
  5. transfer copyrighted materials to or from any system via ResNet without express consent of the owner
You will be disconnected from the network if you:
  1. use an IP address or port that is not assigned to you
  2. run any type of server that can interfere with others' ability to use ResNet (e.g. DHCP or DNS servers)
  3. modify or tamper with network services, wiring and ports in your room, this includes extending the network beyond the single network outlet (e.g Cable/DSL routers, hubs/switches, Wireless Base Stations)
  4. view, copy, alter or destroy any file or connect to a host on a network without explicit permission of the owner
  5. attempt to circumvent protection schemes or exercise security loopholes in any computer or network component

ResNet will disconnect any computer if it is found to contain viruses in order to protect the network and other users. It is the responsibility of the user to make sure their computer has current virus protection software installed and operational. The user's ResNet connection will be restored when it has been determined that the user's computer is completely free of viruses.

ResNet network is a shared resource. Use of applications that inhibit or interfere with the use of the network by others is not permitted. This includes applications that use unusually high portions of bandwidth for extended periods of time or causes someone else's computer on the network to malfunction. You are ultimately responsible for ALL the network activity to and from your assigned port and computer. These policies are in ADDITION to the University Acceptable Use Policy.

View the University Acceptable Use Policy »

Damages/Common Area Cleaning

Damage, destruction and vandalism are unacceptable. All members of a living area will be charged for damages, destruction, vandalism or loss of furnishings and equipment in common area facilities unless specific responsibility can be determined. To report responsibility for a damage charge, please talk to the info desk or the Conference Coordinator directly.

While Custodial, Maintenance, and Grounds staff have regular duties in maintaining a safe and clean living environment, residents have a responsibility for their environment as well. Excessive damage may pose an unsafe or unsanitary condition that must be addressed and disrupts staff's regular routines in the upkeep of facilities. Residents will be billed for damages, and the charges are inclusive of all costs, including the labor and materials. This may include time to gather materials or order parts, the actual cleaning and repair, returning equipment, storage of unused materials, disposal of refuse, and administrative time spent processing charges. Most damages are repaired in a timely fashion, although we may elect to postpone some repairs.

Here are some examples of some common charges.

All charges are basic estimates and will depend on the severity of the incident, the type of labor (student vs. professional), and the cost of materials:

  • Bodily fluids such as vomit, blood, urine or fecal waste — $50
  • Carpet replacement — $30 per yard
  • Carpet cleaning — $25-$50
  • Cigarette pick-up/removal — $5-$10
  • Clean/unclog drinking fountains — $25-$40
  • Excessive mess in bathrooms (i.e. hair dye, etc.) — $25
  • Exit sign damage/replacement — $80
  • Extra clean-up in common areas — $25-$50
  • Hole in the wall — $15-$80
  • Improper disposal of personal trash — $25 per bag
  • Landscape vandalism/damage — cost of labor and materials
  • Trash in outdoor areas that can be attributed to a living area — $10-$25
  • Window screen replacement — $28-$42

Failure to Complete Accountability Sanctions

Failing to complete an accountability sanction (i.e., Student Conduct Educator modules, reflection papers, community service, etc.) is a violation of Housing guidelines and will most likely result in additional student conduct action and/or your likely removal from the residence halls.

Fire and Safety Regulations

Fire safety equipment installed in the halls is for use only in emergency situations. Tampering with and/or covering any such equipment – including fire extinguishers, fire alarm pull stations, fire alarm horns, fire hoses, nozzles, smoke detectors, heat detectors or any other equipment – is a threat to life and is strictly prohibited.

Pulling a false fire alarm or intentionally exiting a building through a fire exit when there is no emergency can be grounds for immediate removal from the residence halls.

Residents are required to evacuate a facility any time the fire alarm in that facility sounds. Residents are required to evacuate a facility under other circumstances such as a bomb threat, flood, etc. when requested to do so by any university staff member. Because the fire alarm system is not used to evacuate facilities under circumstances such as a bomb threat, it is important that residents be aware of the requirement to evacuate when instructed to do so. Residents who fail to evacuate during a fire alarm or when instructed to do so by a staff member or who tamper with a smoke detector will be subject to disciplinary action, including a $50 fine and possible criminal charges.

To ensure emergency vehicle access to facilities, driving or parking in the Hill Quad is prohibited. Driving or parking in Campus Apartments, Canyon, College Creek, or the Hill fire lanes or other access roads adjacent to the residence hall facilities is prohibited. Specific designated areas will be available when moving in or out of the halls (30 minute maximum loading/unloading time). Vehicles left unattended are subject to towing or fines.

Draperies, tapestries, blankets or posters which are displayed on walls, ceilings and doors in a manner which could facilitate ignition, block exits or fire detection units or present overhead fire hazards are not permitted. Draperies may not hang suspended from the doorway. Tapestries may not touch a light fixture, block a ceiling sprinkler or hang more than 16 inches from the ceiling. Draperies (non-housing issued) must be made of fire resistant material.


Firearms, ammunition, fireworks and other weapons (including non-cooking knives greater in size than 2.5 inches, stun guns & tasers, and bow & arrow tips) are not allowed in or around the residence halls at any time and may lead to a removal from the residence halls. Toy guns, paint pellet weapons and activities such as "assassin" are also strictly prohibited. HSU reserves the right to confiscate or remove any of the above items from either public or private areas of the residence halls and may result in removal from the residence halls.


Residents may invite guests to stay overnight with them in their rooms, provided that all such guests are registered with the Information Desk and your roommate(s) agrees. Please register your guest as soon as possible on the date that they arrive and before the Information Desk closes. Before having any guest sleep in a common area (Creekview, Cypress and College Creek living rooms, Canyon suite living rooms only), residents must obtain explicit and unanimous consent from all residents sharing that common area. Sleeping in public areas (e.g., TV lounges) is not permitted under any circumstances.

Non-resident guests may reside in the halls for no more than three consecutive nights and/or ten nights total during the academic year and 3 nights total during the summer. Cohabitation – defined as the extended presence (daily or nightly) of any person in any room, suite or apartment who is not assigned a bed-space in that specific living area – is not permitted. Guests must be accompanied by the host resident at all times. If found in violation of this guideline, you will be billed a nightly rate for the number of nights an unregistered guest resided with you. You are allowed a maximum of up to 2 guests per night unless otherwise approved by your Residence Life Coordinator.

Residents are responsible for the behavior and actions of their guests at all times. Violations of any Housing and Community Guidelines by guests may result in student conduct action against the hosting resident. Guests involved with violations of any Housing and Community Guidelines may be required to leave the residence halls and/or the HSU grounds.

The Housing Department reserves the right to restrict any non-resident guest from the residence halls at any time given reasonable cause as determined by a Housing staff member.


Experience has demonstrated that the use of amplified instruments, horn instruments, drums, bongos and other like instruments often create a significant disruption in the community. The density of the population in such close proximity is not conducive to the use of these types of instruments and therefore they may not be played in or around the residence halls (this includes the Hill Quad and College Creek Courtyards; Hill, Creekview, Campus Apartments, and Jolly Giant Commons parking lots; Canyon and Cypress Lawn areas).

We recognize that residents may need to practice instruments for academic instruction. Time has been afforded from 5:00-7:00pm each day for such practice and it must occur in a lounge or common space. Reasonable noise levels must be maintained with amplified instruments and we reserve the right to ask residents to practice elsewhere due to departmental functions, meetings, and courtesy hours. The Klamath River Room in the Jolly Giant Commons may be reserved for recreational or band practice during certain hours.

Key Misuse

Lending your key card or hard key to another person is prohibited and may result in legal action. Use of another resident's key to gain entry into a building or another resident's room is strictly prohibited.


All pets are prohibited in the residence halls over the Summer Conference months. This policy includes the pets of guests or visitors who may only be present in the halls for a short time. Persons who violate this guideline may be subject to the cost of fumigating rooms. Financial responsibility for fumigation charges may be assessed to all members of a room, suite or apartment unless specific responsibility can be determined.

Physical Abuse/Violence

Absolutely no kind of physical abuse or physical violence toward any member of the HSU community will be tolerated in any of the residence halls or other Housing facilities. This includes, but is not limited to, punching, hitting, kicking, pushing, slapping, spitting or the use of any weapon to cause harm. Any behavior of this nature will most likely be grounds for immediate removal. University Police will be notified and may begin an investigation and/or file criminal charges.

Pranks/Water Fights

Water fights and/or pranks involving shaving cream, confetti and other such materials are prohibited in the interior of the facilities. If such activities take place outside, reasonable care to prevent accidents or injury to persons and damage to facilities must be taken. Participants engaging in such activities will be responsible for cleaning up and held financially responsible for any damage that occurs. Pranks that cause personal harm are prohibited. Activities that entail entry into another resident's room without the specific permission of that person are strictly prohibited.

Quiet Hours/Noise

The Housing department is committed to providing an environment within the residence halls that is conducive to academic achievement. The right to study, sleep and enjoy a peaceful living environment supersedes the privilege to create noise that is disturbing to others.

  • Quiet hours will be in effect from 10pm to 10am Sunday through Thursday and1am to 10am on Friday, Saturday. During quiet hours, noise from any room that emanates to any public area and noise in public areas emanating into student rooms, is prohibited. Public areas include the Hill quad, Cypress walkways, Canyon fire lane, Creekview parking lot, College Creek courtyards, Campus Apartments Gazebo, etc.
  • During those times when quiet hours are not in effect, "Courtesy Hours" will be in effect. During Courtesy Hours, any resident has the right to politely request another resident to lower the level of noise.
  • Stereo speakers should not, at any time, be positioned so that music is directed out of windows/doorways. Violators may have speakers/devices removed.
  • Residents are expected to ask others to reduce bothersome noise levels before seeking the assistance of staff.

Sexual Misconduct/Assault

Humboldt State University (HSU) is committed to maintaining and strengthening an educational, working, and living environment founded on dignity and social responsibility. Sexual misconduct, intimate partner violence (IPV), domestic violence, and stalking as well as acts of retaliation against survivors go against the standards and ideals of our community and will not be tolerated. HSU aims to eliminate these behaviors through education, training, clear policies, and serious consequences for violations of these policies. The HSU community is committed to emphasizing the wellbeing and rights of the survivor, while ensuring due process for the accused, in response to sexual misconduct, IPV, domestic violence, stalking and retaliation. This policy applies to all university community members, which includes students, faculty, staff, and administrators.

Sexual Misconduct

Sexual misconduct covers:

Rape – sexual intercourse without consent. "Intercourse" refers to vaginal/penis penetration.

Sexual Assault – any non-consensual sexual act may be considered sexual assault. Examples of sexual assault include unwanted oral, anal, or vaginal penetration with a foreign object, or unwanted touching on an intimate area of a person's body (genitalia, breasts, buttocks). Sexual assault can include unwanted kissing or bodily contact that is sexual in nature.

Consent, free and willing
Fully conscious, voluntary acceptance and agreement to engage in a sexual act. If threat, coercion, impairment by alcohol or other drugs, or violence is happening, consent cannot exist. Consent is absent if taking advantage of someone's mental, developmental or physical disability, or abusing one's position of authority. Consent cannot be inferred from a current or previous sexual, romantic, or marital relationship, nor can it be inferred from consenting to any other sexual acts. Consent can be taken away at any time.

Intimate Partner Violence and Dating or Domestic Violence

Intimate Partner Violence and Dating or Domestic Violence is a pattern of abusive behaviors used to exert power and control over a partner. Intimate Partner Violence and Dating or Domestic Violence can be physical, sexual, emotional, economic or psychological actions or threats of actions that influence another person. This includes any behaviors that intimidate, manipulate, humiliate, isolate, frighten, terrorize, coerce, threaten, blame, hurt, injure or wound someone. Intimate Partner Violence and Dating or Domestic Violence can happen to anyone regardless of race, sexual orientation, social economics, education, age religion, etc. Intimate Partner Violence and Dating or Domestic Violence can also affect family, friends, co-workers and members in the community, in addition to the victim and abuser. Domestic violence can occur regardless of the relationship status, including individuals who are dating, cohabitating, or married.

Stalking is a pattern of behavior that makes you feel afraid, nervous, harassed or in danger. It is when someone repeatedly contacts you, follows you, sends you things, talks to you when you don’t want them to or threatens you. Stalking behaviors can include:
  • Damaging your property
  • Knowing your schedule
  • Showing up at places you go
  • Sending mail, e-mail, texts and pictures
  • Creating a website about you
  • Sending gifts
  • Stealing things that belong to you
  • Calling you repeatedly
  • Any other actions that the stalker takes to contact, harass, track or frighten you

The HSU Residence Halls are committed to supporting the needs of survivors of sexualized violence. The HSU Residence Halls recognize that anyone can be a survivor of sexual assault regardless of gender identity/performance, race, class, ability, sexuality, or age. We are here to support you in any and all efforts to process through survival of an incident. If you need to report an incident of sexual assault or misconduct, contact any Housing staff member; be aware that Housing Staff members are required to report incidences of sexual assault to university officials.

Survivors may also seek assistance from:
HSU Counseling and Psychological Services – (707) 826-3236 – (Anonymous)
Student Affairs office staff – (707) 826-3361 – (Mandated Reporter)
University faculty/ staff members with whom you feel comfortable(Mandated Reporter)
North Coast Rape Crisis Team – (707) 445-2881 – (Anonymous)
University Police Department – (707) 826-5555 – (To file a criminal report)

Confidential Reporting
Survivors of sexual violence choose to file or not file a report for many different reasons. There is no one right choice. If you would like to talk to someone first about what is involved in the various processes of reporting, the North Coast Rape Crisis Team is available 24 hours a day at (707) 445-2881. Advocates are also available to accompany you if you choose to make a report to the University Police Department, the Student Conduct System, or the appropriate law enforcement agency. You may also contact the Counseling and Psychological Services Center on campus at (707) 826-3236.

To Make a Report

You can talk to any Housing staff member. These staff members are resources available to support you and ensure your safety. You can reach a Housing staff member by calling (707)826-3451. If you would like to file a complaint or make a report, a Housing staff member can help you begin the process.

Your campus Title IX Coordinator and Deputy Coordinators are available to explain and discuss: your right to file a criminal complaint (sexual misconduct, violence, and stalking); the university's complaint process, including the investigation process; how confidentiality is handled; available resources, both on and off campus; and other related matters. The Dean of Students, Randi Darnall Burke can be accessed as a campus Title IX Coordinator.

Randi Darnall Burke, Dean of Students
University Title IX Deputy Coordinator
1 Harpst Street, Arcata, CA 95521
Office: Nelson Hall East 216
Telephone: (707) 826-3504
Office hours: 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday

If you are in the midst of an emergency, please consider calling the police by dialing 9-1-1.
University Police
1 Harpst Street, Arcata, CA 95521
Student Business Services Building Room 101
Telephone: (707) 826-5555 (business)

The North Coast Rape Crisis Team offers a 24-hour crisis line with immediate support services to survivors of sexual assault and their family and friends, information on medical and legal procedures survivors can expect to encounter, accompaniment to medical exams and law enforcement agencies, and on-going support for survivors. You DO NOT have to deal with a rape/sexual misconduct/assault situation alone; these resources are accessible to you. If you would like to get involved in activism on campus focused on ending sexualized violence contact the Women’s Resource Center at or the Health Educator, Mira Friedman at You can also check the HSU Sexual Assault Prevention Committee website at

Check It
CHECK IT is a student led project and growing movement on campus. It's about rejecting our culture's passive acceptance of harm and making it a norm to CHECK IT (intervene) if we see an absence of consent or a high-risk situation where someone may be hurt. CHECK IT is about making clear to those who commit acts of violence (specifically sexual assault, dating violence, stalking) that it is not acceptable and we are not going to put up with it in our community. CHECK IT is about strategizing as a community different ways we can take action when we see potetential moments of violence or harm happening around us so that in those moments we have the tools to do something instead of nothing. CHECK IT is about creating a campus culture that's more rooted within a sense of commnuity where we all look out for one another and have each other's backs.
To learn more or get involved with CHECK IT, visit or

If you need to report an incident of sexual misconduct/assault, contact any Housing staff member.

Skateboards/Roller & In-Line Skates/Bicycles/Scooters

Skateboarding, roller blades, in-line skating, hoverboards, bicycling and scooters are prohibited in the interiors of all facilities, around the exterior of the JGC, in the Hill quad, College Creek courtyards and on walkways, catwalks, fire lanes (Creekview Hill) and access roads. Such activities pose a safety threat to people and should take place only in areas that maximize the safety of riders and others. Additionally, skateboarding and hoverboarding is limited on campus as well. Please refer to the University Code of Rules and Regulations to read about the campus skateboarding policy (Section 3407).


Smoking is not permitted in the residence hall facilities at any time. Smoking is defined as inhaling, exhaling, burning, or carrying a lighted cigarette, cigar, pipe or other lighted smoking product, including electronic cigarettes. Violations of the smoking policy are subject to a $25 charge. Smoking on campus is permitted only in designated smoking areas. Seven of these designated areas are in the vicinity of the residence halls. Please refer to Humboldt's web page for specific locations around campus.

As a result of California state law and HSU policy, smoking outside of the facilities may ONLY take place in designated smoking areas. Smoking is only permitted in and around the gazebos provided in Campus Apartments, the Canyon, Creekview, and the Hill quad. Smoking is also permitted in designated areas in College Creek, behind Sunset Hall, the large planter behind Cypress Hall and by the Cypress basketball court located behind Cypress Hall East. Additionally, smoking is not permitted in the breezeways and stairwells in Campus Apartments, Creekview, Cypress, College Creek, JGC, on patios in Cypress and College Creek and on or around the walkway stairs in the Canyon.

**Effective September 1, 2017, all CSU campuses will be smoke-free. No smoking will be allowed anywhere on campus.


Soliciting in the residence halls is prohibited. Soliciting is defined as door-to-door selling, leafleting and verbal proselytizing, conducting surveys or other similar activity. This policy applies to all individuals, campus groups and organizations and non-HSU groups and organizations. Please contact a staff member or University Police immediately if someone soliciting in the residence halls contacts you. Please note that the Census Bureau sometimes conducts census surveys in the residence hall, which is permitted by law. The Resident Housing Association (RHA) may also canvas the halls.


Sports and recreational activities such as baseball, football, golf, catch, frisbee, soccer, darts, hacky sack, wrestling, bowling or any similar activities are prohibited in the interior of buildings at all times. These activities have proven dangerous to people and destructive to windows. We also ask that you recognize the potential damage that can be done to the lawns; please stay off of them when they are wet and never use cleats. We ask that you respect the efforts of our Grounds Crew and keep our beautiful area free of litter.

Additionally, skateboarding is prohibited on Housing property. Please refer to the Skateboarding section for further information.

Other activities such as hacky sack may be played in the exterior areas adjacent to the buildings as long as caution is taken. HSU and Housing & Residence Life reserve the right to request that such activities cease if participants exhibit reckless behavior while playing such games.

Staff Requests/Non-Compliance

Residents are expected to comply with requests made by staff members in their efforts to create an academic environment in the halls and maximize the residential living experience for all residents. This compliance includes but is not limited to opening your door, stepping into the hallway to speak with a staff member, or providing identification when a staff member makes such a request related to the enforcement of community guidelines.

Intentionally or recklessly interfering with staff members in the performance of their duties is unacceptable. Non-compliance with staff requests may also result in monetary fines for damage to the community. Compliance with officially posted signs and notices (e.g. signs indicating the gender for which bathrooms are intended and smoking signs) is expected.


Theft of items belonging to the University, Housing or another resident is strictly prohibited. Contact University Police at 707-826-5555 to file a report.

Verbal Abuse/Written Abuse

A climate of fear or intimidation is not acceptable in the residence halls. Staff members and residents deserve to be treated with respect. Verbal or written abuse toward a staff member or another resident will not be tolerated and will be grounds for disciplinary action, which may include removal from Housing. Feedback and constructive criticism for staff members is welcomed and encouraged. This feedback should be directed to the Info desk or the Conference Coordinator at an appropriate time and in an appropriate manner.

For questions or concerns regarding any of these policies, please contact us.